SDS (Student Direct Stream) Category
- Students applying under SDS category must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Admission to a full-time program in a publicly-funded post-secondary institution such as universities, colleges, institutes or CEGEP
- An IELTS score with a minimum band of 6 for each ability (Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking) taken within the past two years
- Purchase of a special Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) (from Scotiabank) of CAD $10,000 to cover living expenses for the first year of stay in Canada
- Proof of payment of the tuition fee for one (1) year
- Upfront medical examination at least one week before submission of the application.
Advantages of Applying Under SDS Category
- Less financial documentation in visa file.
- Faster visa processing time.
- Citizens of India who wish to apply under SDS can choose any private, public college or university that has a DLI number. A Designated Learning Institution (DLI) is an institute approved by a provincial or territorial government to host international students.
- There are in total 1379 DLI institutes in Canada in different provinces and a detailed list can be seen at the immigration website.
- To Apply for a study permit and then later for post study work permit a student will need to have a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution (DLI).